[ihc] Scout II front end question

On my Scout, I have what I think is a PO modification to the front end, but
I'm not sure (still pretty new to me, remember...) If it is a mod, it was
done well, but it doesn't make sense to me that International would have
done it this way. I'll try to describe it:

There's a set of two angle brackets, each bolted to the inside of the front
spring shackles. Actually, the brackets take the place of the inside halves
of the shackle sets, replacing what is normally (?) a matching piece of
straight steel. (On the Scout 800, for instance, where the shackles are on
the front also, they're just two matching pieces, pinned top and bottom.)
Between these brackets, and bolted to their other surface (90 degrees to the
shackle side surface), there's a piece of angle iron that runs across the
front of the Scout, connecting the two shackle sets in a more or less rigid
configuration.

The whole thing looks "professional" in terms of form and fit, but when I
look at it, I think "this is wrong". If one side's spring pack is
compressing, and the other is extending, that rigid connection between the
two shackle sets will be contrary to their natural movement, right? The
angle iron will want to twist, and won't be able to. Not much anyway... I
wonder if the PO was trying to deal with a chronic alignment problem, or
maybe some bounce or sway, and this was his home-built anti-sway "bar".

I also wonder if I'm wrong, and this is right, so can't declare with
*confidence* that this was poorly designed... I have no other Scouts to look
at, so... digest wisdom appreciated!

Thanks,

John A.