Re: [ihc] Weekend Chores?

On Oct 29, 2004, at 7:56 AM, Peter Ferris wrote:

Gentle People,

I've got two possibly or three questions for your perusal.

#1) Popping: I believe it's the springs, front & back. Front is worse than
the back. As the steering wheel is turned (even parked, idling) there are
several distinctive POP's that can be heard. Some of the little retainer
clip things on the springs are loose, but still captured by the center pin.
Is this the cause?
Pete, have somebody move the steering wheel while you watch the steering box. It comes loose from the frame, and also the frame cracks out. Permanent solution is a straight steer brace, but some people reinforce the frame in other ways.

#2) Just-A-Swayin' : Somewhere between the time I ditched the old worn 33"
Super Swamppers for brandy new 32" Goodrich AT something-or-another's, there
has been a wicked swaying of the Scout. Earlier this month, I bought new
tires, shocks, and got an alignment (I did the shocks myself), tires &
alignment happened at once at a respected tire shop chain in the area. I
requested that when the guy did an "alignment" that he check components for
wear & tear. He pronounced it all "good". Hmmm, I wonder. I can hold the
wheel straight and feel a distinct and occasionally strong swaying (left to
right, front to back - oft along a diagonal). This isn't constant, but
noticeable on acceleration, passing big trucks, cross winds, etc. New shocks
didn't really affect this problem. The guy at the tire shop called it
"scary". I thought he was talking about the usual slow meander which I've
become used to. This is a more rapid sway. Sometimes it reminds me driving
a boat across a small wake or something.
See above as one possibility.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline