RE: Re[4]: [ihc] RE: lug patterns

## >> Would that be the pattern on a 19.5" Budd wheel (Accuride)?
## >> I'd swear mine
## >> are 19.5" w/ 6 lugs on an 8.75" bolt hole circle and this is common on
## >> mid-70's medium duty trucks, motorhomes, etc.
## >>
## >> Tom H., '76 Traveler

yours could very well be 19.5" wheels.  as you mention, those are fairly
common on motorhomes and smaller medium trucks.  however, the six on 8.75"
lug pattern is also found on 18", 20", 22.5", and even some 24" wheels on
the larger trucks as well.  most of the trucks around here use the
standardized 10-bolt industrial lug pattern, but by no means all, and we do
have some trucks with 20" and 24" wheels on that larger six lug pattern.
the military trucks on this base use all kinds.  we've got five on eight,
six on 7.25", the smaller eight common to 3/4 and 1-ton pickups (found only
on HMMWVs and the very few light trucks still in service), a bigger eight
lug similar to the six on 8.75, standard industrial ten lug, a five-lug in
that same size, and there's a twelve lug on some specialty trucks (i think
they're German, we don't see them very often).  most of the five tons are in
the ten lug, but a lot of trailers (water buffaloes and generators, mostly)
are in five and six lug patterns of the smaller sizes.  the only currently
in use six on 7.25" pattern i've seen is on some older generator trailers
and Hawk missile launchers.  incidentally, the very last Hawk missile
launchers still in use were retired here last week by the Luftwaffe.  if i'm
remembering correctly, their last launcher and missiles are to be displayed
by our ADA museum.  the museum also recently installed a SuperCobra gunship
on a pedestal in the parking lot.

i have not been able to prove it yet, but i suspect that the bolt pattern of
the hubs on six-spoke Dayton wheels are six on 8.75" pattern.  they're
re-roofing our section of the base, and the roofing crew is using two
stake-sided dump bed medium trucks as their refuse catch trucks.  one is a
late '60s Ford, the other is a same period Loadstar (mandatory IH content).
both have Dayton wheels, and i think they're six spoke.  if either the Ford
or the Loadstar is out there again tomorrow (it's been elsewhere for a
couple days now), i'm going to measure the wheel bolt pattern and find out
how big they are.  my B182 (more mandatory IH content) has six-spoke Dayton
wheels, but it's in GA so i can't very well run out there and check it.

my nickel and the usual grain of salt.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton