Re: Re[2]: [ihc] new travelall

----- Original Message ----- From: "ken.dunnington" <ken.dunnington@domain.elided>
To: "Jim or Ginger Aos" <jaos@domain.elided>
Cc: "'ihc-digest'" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 10:10 AM
Subject: Re[2]: [ihc] new travelall

Jim or Ginger Aos wrote:

There's a problem with the aux tank as it will not supply full fuel
flow.  It will cruise on the flats or downhills but stalls out on
uphills or any other full throttle use(which is rather often when
trying to maintain 55 mph in a WY headwind).
JoGA> That sounds like a restriction, ( a collapsing flexible line, or maybe a
JoGA> hidden separate dirty filter, ) I've even had cracked lines on the suction
JoGA> side of the pump do that. Cheers Jim A.

That was my thoughts exactly, though some other info has be thinking it
may be sucking air vs a restriction. There's is some history with this
aux tank dating back to 1976 when the original tank fell off the
vehicle while being driven on the highway. I have the owner's letter
to IH about this unnerving event.

Also, with engine running, the aux tank does not leak but there is a
hint of fuel smell from the area. After engine shutdown, a drip
occurs. Source from the top of the tank about midships. I will have
to drop the tank to have a look. There is a receipt from the '97
where this was done to attempt to find the source of the fuel
smell(must've not been leaking at the time), but the recepit states no
problems were found...

Ken
That is where I found the cracked pickup tube on my F250 back in 1965. It was inside the tank just below the full level.
I changed fuel filter, and fuel pump, then pulled out the pickup tube and wraped black electrical tape around the crack and drove home from the doctor's clinic in Tacoma, WA to Snohomish, WA. About 30 miles. This was done on a Saturday afternoon with a splint on my left elbow. My wife and 3 year old son were with me also, and that all seemed like a normal life style then. Ahh the memories. Jim A.