[ihc] new travelall

OK, new to me Travelall.

Rode a bus to Montana Friday and picked up a 1972 1210 Travelall 4x4.
I drove it back, ~700 miles.  Only a few mishaps along the way.  I
love driving through Wyoming, well atleast the route I took.  I have a
particular like for the high mountainous desert terrain found in parts
of Wyoming(large parts) and this trip allowed me a leisurely drive at
50-60 mph the whole way.

The TA is the most basic model 3/4 ton 4x4 you could get, with just a
few options.  It has the 258 AMC 6 aka "International Power-Thrift
six", close ratio T19A, NP205, D44/D60 with 4.10s, power brakes,
9.50R16.5 tires(original size), Alpine white with black interior.
Manual steering which actually is very nice, much easier than my '55
Pontiac.

The power-thrift is certainly thrifty on the power, but not
particularly so on the fuel.  I like the engine but in my part of the
country, the long steep hills really illustrate power/weight.  I will
have a hard time pulling it out of there as this TA is so clean and
original but it's hard to swallow mileage that a 345 would get, but
with substantially less power available.  Around town it is nice with
the close T19.

The TA body is almost completely rust free.  What little rust there is
is very superficial surface along the rocker panel where paint is
chipped away.  The original owner was in San Diego and I have all the
original paperwork including even the temp reg from him driving from
St. Louis to SD after picking up the truck.

This has the optional tie-rod protector installed, which I didn't even
know was an option.  The original owner was a professor at UCSD as
evidenced by the Dr in front of his name and the UCSD parking permit
stickers from 1973 through 1977 on the rear bumper.  He bought it for
trips to Mexico.  I even have long checklists he used to prepare for
this trips.  He made little mods here and there to increase storage
including an under hood storage bin with ropes, jumper cables, etc.

The spare is located underneath vs inside, is this normal?

The interior is all original and without rips or tears.  Not even a
crack in the dash anywhere.

There's a problem with the aux tank as it will not supply full fuel
flow.  It will cruise on the flats or downhills but stalls out on
uphills or any other full throttle use(which is rather often when
trying to maintain 55 mph in a WY headwind).

I wanted to buy Allan's TA with the 392/T34 but could not get
together the necessary funds.  I think this one is similar condition
but with the complete opposite engine/trans package.

Thus far VERY happy with this TA.  Just wish the 258 was good for
about 50 more HP.  Grinding up 9% grades at 25 mph in 2nd is only
tolerable because there was no one else even in sight let alone behind
me.

Probably more later, still "soaking it all in" at this point in time.

And, it has met with wife's approval... and neighbors as well.

Ken