[ihc] Travelette X2

Some of you know I drug home another Travelette last week.  I got it
from an iron recycler who also restores tractors as a hobby.  His
tractors are mostly green but his hobby made him a little more inclined
to work with me.

Long story short:  It is a '71 or so (egg crate grille) 1210, 304/BW
auto/D60 with a short utility bed.  Was originally DOT orange and has a
big "V" in the bottom of the radiator so they could drive something off
the front pulley.  It is now kind of a burgundy color with orange
peeking through.  The price was right so I didn't look too closely at it
before agreeing to the deal.  I couldn't lose. I half expected a rod to
be hanging out of the block.  I sized it up while still on the trailer
at home.  Missing fuel pump, fan and belts were off and laying on the
carb, no obvious problems.  Somebody removed the fan and belts to get at
fuel pump bolts? Unnecessary to do, but maybe.  Into the shop for a
battery and a can of ether.  Back into the shop for starter button.
Vrooooommm!  Wow.

I unloaded it yesterday and pushed/pulled it into the shop.  Removed the
rust sagged hood, installed a fuel pump, fan and belts, plumbed the pump
to a gas can and we were idling!  I tried a little forward and backward
to make sure the tranny worked and shut it down as the rad has a huge
leak.  I did note some piston slap kinda noise but wow, the dang thing
runs and has good oil pressure.

I should be driving it around the acreage yet this week. Still needs
brakes fixed, the MC leaks almost as bad as the radiator.  Licensing
could be fun, no title.  All this talk of crushing cars in other states
and I just rescued on from the crusher.  I'm told that since it is older
than 25 years I just need the receipt that lists the VIN on it.

Anybody want to see a pic of the two Travelettes?  I cheated, it
actually came home on the trailer behind my Suburban, it wasn't supposed
to come home that day.  I hooked it to the first 'ette to shuttle it
around prior to unloading and had to take advantage of the photo op.

Ed Sohm
Battle Creek, IA

'71 800 B
'74 200 4X4 Travelette Camper Special