RE: [ihc] Pete's Choking!

>-----Original Message-----
>From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
>Peter Ferris
>Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 12:25 PM
>To: 'ihc-digest'
>Subject: [ihc] Pete's Choking!

<snip lengthy Holley 2210 typical nonsense>

Peter, if your carb is stock it's a Holley 2210. My opinion of their
performance and foibles is only a little higher than CookieDan's opinion of
Thermoquads ;) I live with them because I prolly couldn't get 2 of my trucks
smogged without them('tho' I *may* try next time). IME they need a fresh
rebuild yearly to perform OK. This is on CA gas, so YMMV somewhat but
still...

Your specific symptoms could be any one or combination of things. Choke,
idle circuit, float level, you get the idea. I would just pull the thing and
rebuild it, paying particular attention to the setup on reassembly. I use
the specs in the IH manual, and keep a little kit of the drill bit gauges,
etc. so they're handy. Other than that, you want the maximum accel. pump
stroke you can get, the pump is kinda on the small side and has less than
stellar actuation.

If your local smog laws allow, I recommend the Motorcraft 2100 2bbl in
either the 1.21 or 1.23 venturi size. AFAIK these were   OEM for the Ford
351's. The ones I have are from the early to mid '70's and have a vacuum
choke pulloff and electric-assist choke. I just scored 2 more 1.21's like
this for $18.50 delivered, and the tag on one is date coded '73. There are
always tons of them on that auction website, what's it called? ;)

Jim