Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:13:33 -0500
From: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [ihc] Identify Rear Step Bumper/Receiver Hitch/Tom Horsing
Around in Oregon

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin MM Rush" <salmineo@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 14:53
Around in Oregon

> Ted,
>         That sounds exactly like the setup in my brother's Scout.  His
> was a stock Scout II bumper, with an aftermarket receiver hitch mounted
> exactly below it.  When installed, they looked like they were a unitary
> assembly. It would not have been a far stretch for someone to weld the
> two together after they were installed, and I bet that is what had been
> done to yours.  If you have a Scout II step bumper, I have a receiver
> hitch for a Scout II with the fasteners, which I took off of my
brother's
> before he sold his.  Neither of us has a Scout II anymore, so the hitch
> is available if you want it.  Not sure which class it is, but it mounts
> with 6 bolts, so I bet it is either Class III or IV.  Let me know if
you
> are interested in it.

Do you know what manufacturer that hitch is?

I was told that there wasn't one out there that worked with the step
bumper... it didn't sound right to me, so I've still been trying to look,
but havn't actually seen one.  I've been wanting to stick one on the gas
scout without having to delete my step bumper (which I've grown attached
to).

Speaking of which, I need to find a rear bumper for the diesel... right
now
the bumper also happens to be that rear crossmember on the back of the
frame... although the massive tow hitch that was originally on it was
beefy,
it was bent enough when it saved the diesel at the expense of totaling a
car
(PO stuff)  that it had to be removed... ok, I had to use a torch and cut
on
it so I could get it out (same reason it was interfering with the
suspension).  I think that putting any type of hitch on that thing
doesn't
have a use other than as a point to hook a chain or strap (which does
have
merit as I think about it)....

Thanks,
Ryan