[ihc] Today, while the blossoms still cling to the vine ....

On Sep 20, 2004, at 4:57 PM, Dan Nees wrote:

John,
   The tranny lines at the radiator and the tranny are double flairs.
Also, if you are connecting a rubber hose to a cut tranny line a double
flare on the end really cuts down on fluid leaking past the clamps.
I'll be darned. I didn't know the lines are double flared. How strange that lines that are attached to clamped rubber hoses were double flared. Doesn't make sense to me, but then ..... Having a flare on the end for the rubber hose makes a lot of sense, and I do that.

Sometimes, rather than a flare, I solder a brass compression flare on the steel tubing which makes a great device to keep your hose on and minimize leaking. Better than a flare, in my opinion.

Today, if I can get up the energy, I'm going to install Epp's Bright Light kit, Mark's alternator kit, put Amsoil into my 727, and change the radiator coolant.

Some of you will remember that I run pure Propylene Glycol in my Dodge, but considering the possibility of leaks, I'm going to use mixed PG in the Scout. Because I don't like bothering to change coolant, I avoid solutions with silicates in them, and I use the Jim G recommended RMI 25 each year for corrosion protection and water pump lubrication.

Sad day, yesterday. I attended the memorial for the girl fire fighter that was killed a week ago. A couple of thousand fire fighters from all over the country attended and there was a huge procession of fire apparatus that drove through much of our county. Mostly Internationals, of course, since most of the engines were for non-urban situations.

I had an eerie feeling when the helicopter that had set her down at the fire, picked up her coffin yesterday and flew away with it. From all accounts, she was one really fine bright girl. Her home fire station is about 12 miles from here, so there are many local connections.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs