RE:[ihc] transmission parking brakes (was "About those Allisons")

## >> That parking break is not enough to keep the bus from moving  with my
## >> diesel. It will hold on a slight incline, but I guarantee
## >> you, it won't stop
## >> the bus in a short distance, and not at all if any power is
## >> applied. Set the
## >> brake and put the transmission in drive and you will move
## >> while the brake
## >> shoe burns up. My guess is that with only half the torque ala
## >> the 392 vs the
## >> 549 diesel, you'll still move the bus. I'm about to find out.
## >> My winter
## >> project is an SV swap into the bus and scrapping (maybe
## >> saving the fuel
## >> system for e-bay)  what's left of the diesel.
## >>
## >> I have the same brake on my B120 travelall. Works better, but
## >> not well.
## >>
## >> -Allan

i was going to comment on this as well, when i saw Allan's post.  my B122
has that same type of brake on the back of the T98 and straight six, and it
doesn't work worth a plugged nickel if you apply any power to it at all.
with the proper adjustment, it'll hold the truck on a relatively gentle
incline, but not much else.  nothing steep, or that mother will roll like a
wagon full of lead, brake applied or not.  ask me how i know this.  however,
the new axle has a compleat and functioning cable e-brake assembly, and if i
ever get that truck running again, i'll be hooking that up in addition to
the transmission brake.  two parking brakes?  absolutely, why not?  overkill
is my middle name, after all.  else, why would i have the enormous truck
mentioned next?  sure, because when i think "Mac McMuffin", oh eyah, i think
"really big freakin' IH trucks".  right.

now, my new B182 has a 345 and one of the non-overdrive T-3X five speeds
with the same drum parking brake on the back of the tranny, and it is pretty
tightly adjusted.  i say it's the same brake, but it's actually a bit larger
than the one on the B122.  when the truck arrived at Ryan's place, the brake
appeared to be seized, and he was unable to free it or to move the actuating
lever in the cab.  we thought the shoe/band was somehow melded or rusted to
the drum, locking it up.  well, Ryan left it in first gear while trying to
start the engine one day, and not only did it spin the engine with the
locked brake, but it actually started and remained idling with that brake
tightly applied, and the drum slowly turning inside the shoe/band.  at that
point, he was able to unlock the lever and release the brake, and now it
works more or less properly.  my guess is that in application it isn't going
to work any better under power (or even just sitting there) than any of
Allan's or my other one do.

anyway, just my nickel and as usual take what i say with a grain of salt.

--Mac

P.S.:  on a side note, i showed the CXT to the lovely little Missus...
would you believe it, now she wants one.  it appears that if we ever buy a
new truck, she will settle for nothing less than a CXT.  <sigh>  guess we're
gonna be saving our pennies for decades just so she can have one of those
monsters.  impractical?  you betcha.  but it appears that i've rubbed off on
her more than i thought i had...  she's into even bigger trucks than *I* am.
she'd bring her HEMTT tractor home as a daily driver if they'd let her.
good thing they won't, huh?

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.