Re: RE:[ihc] transmission parking brakes (was "About those Allisons")

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac McMuffin" <mac@domain.elided>
To: "Allan Ericson" <lowvolt@domain.elided>; "Urvig, Chad A"
<chad.urvig@domain.elided>; <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 18:51
Subject: RE:[ihc] transmission parking brakes (was "About those Allisons")

> .
>
> now, my new B182 has a 345 and one of the non-overdrive T-3X five speeds
> with the same drum parking brake on the back of the tranny, and it is
pretty
> tightly adjusted.  i say it's the same brake, but it's actually a bit
larger
> than the one on the B122.  when the truck arrived at Ryan's place, the
brake
> appeared to be seized, and he was unable to free it or to move the
actuating
> lever in the cab.  we thought the shoe/band was somehow melded or rusted
> the drum, locking it up.  well, Ryan left it in first gear while trying to
> start the engine one day, and not only did it spin the engine with the
> locked brake, but it actually started and remained idling with that brake
> tightly applied, and the drum slowly turning inside the shoe/band.  at
that
> point, he was able to unlock the lever and release the brake, and now it
> works more or less properly.  my guess is that in application it isn't
going
> to work any better under power (or even just sitting there) than any of
> Allan's or my other one do.

I don't really think it's all that tight (I should check myself on this at
some point).  I run out of travel with the actuating assembly before it gets
hard to move because of being applied.   I now think that the reason the
lever was stuck is because it was so far back that the lack of travel in the
actuating assembly meant that it was tensioned by that.  That or when I
started the engine it expanded it on it's own...

BTW Mac, I didn't have a crate of stuff to put in the fuel tanks waiting on
me, so nothing happened to the truck over the weekend.  It did survive the
storm safe and sound from what I saw, in fact, I have the truck parked in
such a nice clear spot (read: no trees around to fall on it), that my folks
moved other vehicles right next to it so they'd be safer.

Also, the 1210 Dually that came up a good while ago was at the show...  guy
went through it and fixed it up really pretty.  He put a price tag of $9500
on it...  He actually had a good amount of interest.  Of course, it looks
like new from the outside at least...     He still thinks it's IH's version
of a 1 ton.  Need to get the 1310 down from wisconsin so he can see a *real*
1 ton next year...  oh, and he also has a die cast B series pickup toy.

-Ryan

---