RE: [ihc] New Int. Truck release

## >> BTW a Hummer H2 is just a re-skinned Tahoe.  If you
## >> don't believe me just look under it.  Probably even
## >> has a Chebby 10 bolt axle.

you're right, that's exactly what it is.  a friend back in CA, Chevrolet
certified mechanic, told me that's what the H2 was when it first came out.
i couldn't believe it, so i checked.  yup, that's a Tahoe, allright.  they
didn't bother to change *anything* under there for the H2.  just built the
body to accomodate slightly larger than stock (stock for Tahoe) tires on the
stock Tahoe chassis.  i haven't looked recently, but the one i looked at
that first time appeared to have a 12-bolt under it, same as my '71 Chevy
C/10 longbed has.

when i get a bit of time, i know where several of these ugly tinfoil tonka
toys can be found regularly.  i can have a gander under there and see what
the rear axles are.  a local automotive custom sound and paint shop owner
uses one as his rolling advertisement, and a local wheel and tire shop owner
also owns one.  there's a couple more regularly parked in various places,
not sure who owns them or what they're doing where they are...  and wouldn't
you know it, a couple of the soldiers here (not all that high ranked,
either, how the bloody blue blazes can they afford it?!?!) have the H2 as
well.

oddly enough, not one private soldier or private citizen on the post here
owns an H1 or excessed HMMWV.  with the number of HMMWVs that get excessed
from local units (i've counted a couple dozen over the last 2 years), you'd
think somebody local would buy one.  but apparently not.  well, maybe if i
get up a little more dosh, i'll be the first.  i'd really like to have an
excessed military HMMWV.  though, come to think of it...  with the trouble
i'm having getting the TravelAll with a GVWR of 6,000lbs insured, i don't
want to imagine the headache of trying to insure a HMMWV with a GVWR of
10,500lbs.  sheesh.  well, another pipe dream shot all to hel.

i'd imagine that anybody who can scrape up the dosh for the CXT from IH can
easily figure out how to insure the thing when they get it.  that's a lot of
truck to be insuring as a pickup, though.  at least with my B182, GVWR
23,500lbs, i can get it registered and insured as a classic or collectible
truck and not worry about the rest of it.  don't think you can do that with
something as new as the CXT.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.