Re: [ihc] Allison Trannies and SAE patterns

At 8:27 PM 9/7/04, allanw wrote:
>> Allan E said:
>> I have all that stuff, including the bus. It's currently got a blown IH
D170
>> (LV sized diesel) on it, but I have the adapter ring and flex plate for
the
>> Allison. I just picked up a 304 in order that I could drive the bus around
>> as needed while waiting on a diesel to (someday, I keep hoping) to take
its
>> rightful place.
>
>Allan,
>  I've been trying to figure out exactly what the parts are that I need
>so I can bolt up a manual tranny with an SAE #2 pattern.

The ring in question DOES bolt directly to an SV block. It also mates to an
SAE #3 converter housing. What you NEED is an SAE #3 CLUTCH housing that
mates with the front of the tranny you want to use.

There are SOMETIMES issues with the DEPTH of an SAE converter housing for
an Allison. I_THINK_ they are _sometimes_ longer (front to back) than a
standard SAE c;utch housing.

Going on long recall here--I have both #2 and #3 converter housings for my
MT-42 Allison. As I recall, the #3 piece is about 2" longer (deeper, front
to back) than the #2 is---

I do know that if you are mating an Allison with an SV that the flex plate
is NOT the same as the one for a BW or a 626. It does NOT use the crank
flange spacer and longer flywheel bolts---

Greg