[ihc] Lift Results & What Shocks?

You never realize how much something is worn out until you fix it.  I lifted
my Scout II this weekend and now it tracks straight, goes where I steer it,
and rides a lot better.  The Scout now has used Rancho 4 inch lift springs.
The old springs were notched where they rubbed together and were so soft in
the rear that the Scout would bottom out with 700-800 pounds in the bed.  I
got 3-1/4 inches of lift in the front and 5 inches of lift in the rear from
the springs and another 1-1/2 inch from the new tires.  I also installed
degree shims in the front.

The shims probably were the best part of the project.  I thought the shims
would probably make the steering even heavier than it was but the wheel now
spins back to center by itself when moving slowly and the Scout no longer
tries to steer itself.  I'll spend some time driving it before making a
final decision but from the short test drives I no longer see a power
steering swap as a necessity.  I checked the front drive shaft and I have no
universal joint binding even at full droop of the front axle.  I'm not
worried about the different universal joint angles at either end of the
front drive shaft since it is only used at slower speeds anyway.  What else
am I missing here?  Its old and ugly but it needs to be safe.

What is the torque spec on the spring to axle U bolts?

I just need shocks to complete the job and was looking at Pro Comp ES1000s
because they are cheap.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  I'm
looking for a stock or stiffer replacement.  Has anyone with a 4 inch
suspension lift found shocks to be the limiting factor in axle movement?
The old body lift I installed with the engine swap gave me the room to move
shock mounts to install longer shocks but I see no need to do it if the
springs won't allow axle movement to take advantage of the longer shock
travel.

Pete