RE: [ihc] Small problem

## >> Dilemma,  my daughter is 5?1 and in love with the 800B I got for her.
## >> She was sitting in it last night, showing it off to one of her friends
## >> that is an inch taller.
## >> They were trying to figure out how they could drive the Scout
## >> when they
## >> could barely reach the pedals. When they slumped down in the seat to
## >> reach the pedals they had the steering wheel in their line of site.
## >> Forget using the dimmer switch, it?s a huge stretch to hit it.
## >> Now I need to figure out what to do about the ergonomics so she can
## >> safely operate her 800.
## >> It has a trashed Borg Warner auto that I thought I might
## >> replace with a
## >> manual tranny but I now think that operating a clutch may be too hard.
## >> Any suggestions for making an 800 more user friendly for the height
## >> challenged?

hand controls might not be a horrible idea.  shouldn't be too hard to
install a set of dash or steering wheel mounted hand controls, one each for
throttle and brake.  then the short driver can sit on a safety booster seat
strapped into the original seat, maybe, and control everything with the
hands.  really only useful with an automatic transmission, though.  i don't
think i've ever seen a hand-operated clutch on anything modern.

the hand throttle is an easy one, there are a lot of aftermarket hand
throttle assemblies available, most are fairly simple to install and use.
or you could salvage one from an old wrecked industrial truck.  dunno where
to go for a hand brake, unfortunately.  maybe one of those specialty shops
that caters to handicapped drivers?  probably won't be cheap, but if that's
what you want to do, there may not be much of an alternative.  those same
shops have specialty hand throttles too, if you're inclined towards buying
package deals, for example.

just my nickel, and the usual grain of salt disclaimer applies.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.