Re: [ihc] oil pan threads

----- Original Message -----
From: <spamaddy@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 12:23 PM
Subject: [ihc] oil pan threads

> Anyone have some advice on how to repair shot oil pan threads?  I've
already
> tried using an oversized-piggyback plug, but I can't get them to go in
> straight and seal against the pan.  I'm considering drilling out the
threads
> and tapping new ones, but it seems that material might be too thin to tap
> new threads?  Is this something that a machine shop could repair somehow?
> What's the best advice for fixing this prob?

Auto parts stores sell repair kits for this purpose. I used an expansion
plug when I lost a drain plug on the way to RMIHR 2002. Held fine. Shoved it
in, tightened it down. I think I used a 3/4 because there were no 7/8, but I
don't remember now. I just know there wasn't one available in Williams, AZ
at any auto parts store, but the hardware store is a full of treasures in
most small towns.