Re: [ihc] old gasoline and old trucks...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Reed" <treed@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 11:49
Subject: Re: [ihc] old gasoline and old trucks...

> Hello Mac,
>
> I've used a product called Pri-G to store gasoline in 55 gal drums for up
> 2 years with great success. The container says it will restore "stale"
fuel
> if you add some of the product and then aerate the fuel with a fish tank
> bubbler. The Scout runs GREAT on the stored fuel starts easy and no ping.

Where do you get the stuff?   And as much as Mac might like to know it, it
won't help his truck if I don't know it ;)

> Also the no start could be due to the accelerator pump. Just buy a 15.00
kit
> and put it in the carb. I'm reasonably sure the stumble/stall is due to
the
> pump too.

I hope it's not,  I'll l ook down the carb next time I'm down to see if it
delivers the requisite shot of fuel.   It's just that I spend enough time
already that I'd like to avoid more mechanical work if possible.  As it is,
I'll need to change the oil etc next time I'm down.  ;)

As far as the stall goes... it'll be sitting happily at 3000 rpm constant
RPM when I try to let out the clutch and it stalls.  Not like I'm trying to
accellerate or anything.  It'll pull itself in first with a good bit of
choke at least.  I really think it's just having trouble burning the fuel
(hence the smoke screen).

Interestingly, the smoke seems to hang to the point that when moving around
it'll stay in a trail right at the ground level.  when sitting still you
just hope you are upwind... you can smell the old fuel just in that smoke
too.

I'm going to reitterate that I don't understand how it manages to even idle
off of this fuel.  It's *nasty* stuff.  Maybe I need to clean out the 21
gallon tank and just let *Mac* worry about his 150 gallons of shellac later.

> I've got a B-160 2yd dump with a BD265. Have fun.
>
> Tom Reed

It *is* a lot better knowing that now I can theoretically at least move it.
Even if it doest take a half hour before I can succeed in getting it to pull
itself in first gear with the 6.xx rearend...

-Ryan

---