RE: Lawmakers, was [ihc] diesel trucks

## >> That's what it takes, I think. Regular folks getting mad, and
## >> active, and
## >> very vocal. In the months and years ahead, we'll be needing
## >> to do more and
## >> more of that to keep our rigs on the road, and to be able to
## >> continue taking
## >> them off-road. Our trucks are "too heavy" and "not fuel
## >> efficient", etc.
## >> etc... The lawmakers have already started, and things will
## >> get worse. We
## >> will all need to yell, and loud.
## >>
## >> John A.
## >> ---

boy you ain't kidding.  my TravelAll 1110 4x4 is currently off the road
right now...  not because it doesn't run, not because there is anything
wrong with it (there is, but that's not why it's not on the road)...  but
because i can't get it insured.  when we bought the new car (Plymouth Neon,
actually a nice little car), we had insurance for the TravelAll and the
Scout 800A, plus the Scout 800 which we traded in on the Neon.  it was
moderately inexpensive (maybe a hundred bucks a month for all three trucks).
but that company wanted to nearly triple our rates for compleat
comprehensive on the new car along with the basic legal requirements for the
two remaining trucks.  what the heck is THAT about?

so we switched to Progressive, who gave us a very reasonable rate for the
new car and the 800A, and when we got the policy, for the TravelAll too.
but they won't insure the TravelAll at all as a private consumer vehicle,
which we found out nearly a month after switching.  one of their
underwriters called us and told us they would not write a policy for that
truck, it's too old, too big, too whatever, and they can't quantify the
risks it poses (their words, not mine).  if i want it insured through
Progressive, it has to be a business-related commercial insurance policy or
nothing at all.  which ticks me off to no end.  that rate will be the same
as the rate for the Scout and Neon combined, for basic legal requirements.
if we insure just the Neon alone, the rate is higher than the combination of
Neon and Scout (the multicar discount is more than the Scout's premium,
figure THAT one out).  when we moved out here from CA, our CA-based
insurance company told us they could not insure Texas residents, so we had
to switch.  *that* pissed me off too.  i actually like Progressive, but i
don't like not being able to insure the TravelAll through them.

who do i yell and scream about this to?  if i did yell and scream, would it
make any difference?  if there's a reasonably priced insurance company that
insures in Texas that any of you folks know about, i'd sure like to hear
about it.  i want to get all three insured again so i can drive my truck
this winter.  the Scout has lots of missing glass and is *miserable* driving
the kids to school in the rain.  i'd take the car for that, but then that
would mean Becca has to drive the Scout to duty, and i dare not repeat in
polite company the words her Platoon Sergeant (much less the First Sergeant)
will use on her for showing up to formation in a wet or wrinkled uniform,
nevermind if her boots are scuffed in the *least* (yes i know, their
priorities are *really* screwed up, but not much i can do about that).  she
doesn't need the disciplinary counseling statement and i don't need the
headache.

anyway, if anybody can recommend a good insurance company with reasonable
rates that insures in Texas, i'd like to know about them.  right now we're
paying $118 a month for the two cars with two drivers, which includes
compleat comprehensive and every possible additional coverage on the Neon
(roadside assistance, interim rental car during repairs after an accident,
etc), and the basic legal requirements on the Scout.

thanks again for listening to me ramble on.

--Mac

P.S.:  incidentally, i found a company that will insure the B182 as a
"classic truck" for less than eighty bucks a year.  that ain't bad, but it
means i can't use it as a "working truck", which is okay by me for the
moment.  at least i can drive it (get it home and onto the base legally),
and that's what matters to me.  take it for a spin and exercise it
occasionally (or even relatively frequently), which is expressly allowed
under the policy for the truck type.  now i wonder if it'll pass Texas
Inspection...  guess i'll find out when i get it home.

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.