re; [ihc] Putting 727 behind 152 in a Glassic

=From: John Fleck <john@domain.elided>
=Subject: [ihc] Putting 727 behind 152 in a Glassic

=Hey Gang,

=I wondered if anyone remembers or knows how to do the flywheel setup for
=putting a 727 behind a 152 in a 1967 Glassic(scout 800 chassie and running
=gear with fiberglass bodied car on it.

=I seem to remember someone doing it. They took the V-8 flywheel and removed
=the weights on one side or something like that. I suppos a guy could just
=have the rotating assembly balanced and that would cure that. Let me know
=if you know something.

=John

John,
Ive done a bit of research on 727/196 pairing. Ive exchanged
emails with a few people who have done it too. Its a project that Im toying
with.

From my research the IH V8 is "externally" balanced and needs weights on
the flywheel/flexplate, and the front balancer.

The IH 4 cyl however is "internally" balanced and needs no weights on
the flywheel/flexplate, or front balancer.

The way they've all done it is grind "all" the weights off the V8 flexplate,
then bolt it on the crank using the V8 flexplate spacer. They then
attached a standard V8 torque converter and the 727. No problems and
no vibrations reported by any of them.

The 196 is said to be adequate for use with the 727, though its no V8.

I wonder if the 152 would have enough ooomph? Let us know how it works.

Mike Toney
Mobile, AL.
Southern International Harvester Owners [S.I.H.O.]
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/southernihowners
72 Scout II, 4x4, 304, T18, 3:31
73 1010 Travelall, 2wd, 345, 727, 3:54
Scout 800, 4x4, 152, 3 speed, D20, D44s, 32s, (under construction)
Scout 80, 2x4, 196, 727, SII D44 rear, SII disc front, (under construction)
Scout 800, 4x4, 3 speed, D18, (parts truck)
http://www.myinternationaltrucks.iwarp.com/