Re: [ihc] Putting 727 behind 152 in a Glassic

        I have been the tranny guy for Project Rock Scout (look on the
Binder Bulletin for a loooong thread and pictures of it in the IHSTO
forum), and I built a 727 with a Jeep tailshaft assembly (for use with a
Jeep Dana-300) which we put behind a 196.  The vehicle was a Scout 80
which originally had a 152.  The 196 was installed using relocated motor
mounts, some firewall and fender trimming, and a custom trans mount.  I
had several V-8 flexplates with spacers.  We put a V8 plate on with the
weight intact.  The 4-cylinder has only 8 flywheel bolt holes instead of
the 10 the V8s use, but that does not affect the flexplate mounting.  The
V8 spacer fits perfectly.
        While we did not remove the weight, there has been no issue with
vibration.  I understand the 4-cylinder is internally balanced while the
V8 is not, but even so, it runs smoothly.  Of course, it is not a fast
engine, so it probably never builds enough engine speed for it to make a
difference.  We may remove the weight and balance the flexplate over the
winter, but it is not a high priority.  Mating the two together is not a
big deal.  If vibration is a concern, have the flexplate balanced to
allay your fears; or if the engine is going to be rebuilt, have the
flexplate attached to the crankshaft when you have the engine balanced.
-Colin Rush

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!