[ihc] Scout makes it through with no major damage

In light of the misadventures that seemed to plague my Scout in the Winter and Spring, (another spring perch torn out of frame, broken main leaf, fire from exploding brake booster, etc. ) I thought that everyone would like to know that yesterday, Saturday, I took the Scout from Union Lake to Alpine Lake via Slick Rock trail, with no damage other than a few more dings in the sheet metal.

If I had known how bad this trail has gotten, I wouldn't have attempted it, but ignorance is bliss. Nah, ignorance leads to terror. Anyway, no torn spring perches, no broken spring leafs, no brake failure.

It's only been a couple of years since I went through here with the Mother Lode Group but the trail now is very different in difficulty. Seriously, this trail has become a real challenge to any but the very well equipped. I promised my Scout that this would be the last trip across Slick Rock for it.

My son, John, was the only other vehicle on our trip, but we talked to a lot of Jeepers standing around to see if the Scout was going to make it, and the BIG topic of conversation was the big story in the Sacramento Bee about Del Albright and the FOTR work on the Rubicon Trail.

70,000 lbs. of poop a year on that relatively short trail. Access on the Rubicon could end up denied just on the basis of poop.

In Utah, Del and I saw trails where you were required to have poop equipment with you, and I've done several Utah trips where you had to show your poop equipment, and your poop, at the end of the trip, or get a substantial fine.

Anyway, Del continues to promote, very well, public access to public lands, but right now the poop problem solution seems to be suffering from a lack of resolution, which I guess could be a form of constipation.

One more anyway, thanks Del for working so hard to keep our access to our lands. I just renewed my membership in Blue Ribbon Coalition and consider it money well spent.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs