Re: [ihc] Trailering weight..

Jeff,

Rant mode on.

As for the trailer, check the payload capacity of the
trailer, and the quality of the tie-downs.  If the mfr
rates it for hauling vehicles it is probably ok.  The
trailer MUST have its own brakes, I like the electric
controls.  They are adjustable while driving.

My cousin pulls a 400 bu (24000 lb) grain cart with
his pickup (new Chevy 1500 4x4, gas engine).  The cart
has no brakes as it is designed to be pulled behind a
large tractor.  I fully expect to attend his funeral
caused by this thing.  Stricker, am I crazy or is he
crazy?

I doubt I'd use a Touareg.  The only SUV's that can
pull heavy trailers are the big Suburbans and
Excursions, note the wheelbase length in both cases.

If you have enough skill and experience (read John
Hofstetter) you can get away with a smaller vehicle
but I don't recommend it.

Remember that the rated towing capability of a vehicle
is consistently overrated by at least 25% when you
read the autmatic transmission rating.  Use ONLY the
manual tranny rating for any vehicle, any
manufacturer.  That will tell you what the truck is
comfortable with.  i.e. comfortable rolling down the
highway and an 18 wheeler blows past at 80-90 mph.  Or
you get a wheel of the loaded trailer off the pavement
and have to pull it back on.  I've had a trailer that
where the "tail wagged the dog".  That'll give you
gray hairs in a heartbeat.

Just because it can move it down the road, doesn't
make it safe.  I pull my 8000 lb / 30 ft travel
trailer with my Scout.  Moves it fine, that truck
running gear shows through.  But I'd never try to pull
it on the highway.  I use the Scout as a tug boat in
the yard.  Wheel base is 5 ft too short for the
highway.

Having said that I wouldn't pull anything that big
with less than a F250 Super or GM or Dodge equivalent,
or older equivalent from IH (in suitable condition).
These all can handle the weight and have the wheelbase
length to do it safely.

If you're just going a few miles, any engine will do.
If you're going long distances there's nothing like
the big diesels, but they're expensive.  I bought mine
used.

Rant mode off.

Steve

--- "Jeff Randolph @ Bigscout79"