[ihc] RE: Tree takes truck in clutch!

>Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:09:33 -0700
>From: "Christine N. Gust" <dukkha@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] 80' Douglas Fir - 1 1200D Pickup - 0 How bad did I mess it
up

>I got out to trade places when the brake let go and the truck went into the
>tree at 5-8 miles an hour.

I *hate* it when that happens! Last time I did that, it was the step bumper
on the B pickup and a fence post. No damage to speak of.

>The clutch is really mushy, does not want to shift gears and I can only
>shift when I have it turned off.

>Any ideas on how bad I screwed the pooch? Transmission Mount?

Unless the bellhousing mounts are really rotten, I doubt that you got much
movement there(although the exhaust pipe thing is an interesting touch).

Something has reduced movement of the clutch release fork. I'd be looking
for a displacement of the clutch linkage rocker bar, since it pivots between
the engine and body. The pivot bushings are plastic, that's another possible
source of grief. Outside chance of a bent linkage. I s'pose it's also
possible that the cab shifted slightly on the mounts.

Jim