Re: [ihc] U-joint questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac McMuffin" <mac@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 1:05 PM
Subject: [ihc] U-joint questions

> okay folks, i have some questions that i'm hoping at least a couple of you
> can answer for me.
>
> it looks like the B182 is going to need new U-joints.  the second
propeller
> shaft has been removed and placed in the cab, and whoever removed it did
not
> wrap the U-joints, so now i'm told there are caps and needles all over the
> floorboards of the truck.  probably a good idea to replace all three
joints
> anyway, truck hasn't been run since 1997.
>
> so here's the question:  what do i tell the parts guys so that i get the
> right U-joints?  is there a part number available?  perhaps you guys with
> parts manuals can look it up for me and let me know what i need to get and
> the best place to go for these?  to recap, it's a 1962 B182 road tractor,
> 129" wheelbase, five-speed transmission and 2-speed axle, 2-piece
driveline
> with centre bearing.  what i need is the correct size and type of U-joint
> get, maybe brand if somebody's done this before on one of these models and
> has a preference.
>
> thanks in advance for the help.
>
> --Mac
Mac-

Sorry, but you'll need the type of rear axle, transmission, engine, and
chassis number. Better pull a line set ticket. Your local IH dealer should
be able to pull one for you. Just go in and give them the serial number and
tell them you want to know which engine, transmission, and rear axle you
have.

Here is an example of what I pulled out of the B series parts manual,
MT-107.

B180 Trucks without Aux transmission (brownie equivalent, I'd guess)
Below Chassis number FB24567, SB184971

BD, D301 Engines:
Mechanics--Figure 6-31
Spicer   ----Figure 6-30
V8 engines -Figure 6-32

Chassis no FB24567, SB184971 and up

BD, D301 Engines:
14035, 14036 Axles
For 13083, 13085 Transmissions -----Figure 06-85
Except 13083, 13085 Transmissions--Figure 06-84
Except 14035, 14136 Rear Axles-----Figure 06-85
V8 engines----------------------------Figure 06-86

Companion Flange
At Main Transmission
13015 W/BD Engines   ---------------Figure 06-55  Line J
13019, 13022 w/BC, D301 Engines
Below Chassis No FB2457, SB184971
Mechanics-----------------------------Figure 06-55 Line C
Spicer---------------------------------Figure 06-53  Line W
Chassis FB24567, SB184971 and up
for14035, 14136 Rear Axles----------Figure 06-53 Line W
All other axles   -----------------------Figure 06-53 Line AD
13019, 13022 Trans w/V8 engine-----Figure 06-53 Line AD

That's just a small part of it. The other (and maybe better) alternative is
to take the old u-joints in and match them up. Try to save the carrier
bearing, etc. They usually last indefinitely as long as the engine and
transmission mounts haven't loosened up. Up and down is okay, but side to
side kills them quickly.

Let me know if you have the line set ticket. I can check the proper part
numbers that way, and somebody will be able to cross reference them to
current numbers.

-Allan