Re: [ihc] Rhino, Dynamat & Heat

Tom Mandera wrote:
David Bongo wrote:

Most of the Dynamat I'm familiar with is primarily a *sound dampening* material, to quiet things down, mostly by adding mass to sheetmetal that might resonate otherwise. I'm not too familiar with it's use as a *heat insulator*

They allege that it does help, but they also say that you should use Extremeliner on top of it for real heat protection. Which tells me to keep on looking.

If a person were going "all out" on trying to quiet/insulate their IH.. I'd be tempted to apply the "Reflectix" to the engine bay side of the firewall. That would keep heat from getting TO the firewall.
This sounds like a good, low-cost option. But surely by now (cars have been around for about a century) the major auto manufacturers have settled on something good and cheap for new cars, which is designed to be in the engine compartment. Of course, retrofitting it to a Scout might be a problem.

Not sure about treating the underside of the tub, though. Trans tunnel might be easy to do.

Then you could apply the Dynamat to the inside of the firewall to reduce noise and vibration.

Noise don't bother me - I just turn up the radio. As an added bonus, between the truck noise and the radio most customers don't engage me in overly long conversations. But still, it wouldn't hurt to reduce the noise a bit, and if it helps with the heat, so much the better. So, maybe it'd still be worth a shot.

Dave