Re: [ihc] Rhino, Dynamat & Heat

David Bongo wrote:
How much heat comes off of the floor on the truck everywhere EXCEPT the transmission hump and firewall. I'm wondering if Rhinolining the whole
IIRC, after a couple of hours of driving, when I took my temp readings BEFORE applying the Reflectix to my floor, it was pretty much 140 "everywhere".. at least, on the driver's floor, firewall, trans hump, and behind the hump.

I didn't check the floor behind the driver (hard to do when you're driving).

Pretty much everywhere around me was HOT at 140F.

Put the Reflectix down, and everywhere around me was 100F where the Reflectix was, and 140F just behind where the Reflectix was.

Again, I didn't check the foot temperature of any rear passengers.

This was in my '74 4dr pickup, with a manual transmission (no extra automatic heat on the floor/tunnel) with no interior.

2. Would doing the "partial" Dynamat-ing work, or would it just funnel the heat towards the "unprotected" parts of the floor?
Most of the Dynamat I'm familiar with is primarily a *sound dampening* material, to quiet things down, mostly by adding mass to sheetmetal that might resonate otherwise. I'm not too familiar with it's use as a *heat insulator*

If a person were going "all out" on trying to quiet/insulate their IH.. I'd be tempted to apply the "Reflectix" to the engine bay side of the firewall. That would keep heat from getting TO the firewall.

Not sure about treating the underside of the tub, though. Trans tunnel might be easy to do.

Then you could apply the Dynamat to the inside of the firewall to reduce noise and vibration.