Re: [ihc] RE: Relaying George's power

On Jul 27, 2004, at 12:00 PM, George B Humphrey wrote:

John,
	Are you implying that I could use the plus side of the coil as the
trigger for the Projection if I had an MSD ignition? I like solving
problems by getting new toys for the Scout. I can live with the start
problems until I save money to get an MSD.

George H.
72 Scout II
345 V8
Absolutely, George. With the MSD you can have a full voltage lead to near the + terminal of the coil. I have what Mark of Mad calls a junction block just before that positive terminal. From that block I trigger everything that needs to be on when the ignition is on including the starting cycle. ALSO, from that same junction block I run a wire to an EXTERNAL ballast resistor sitting on top of the coil and a lead from the other side of the ballast resistor that goes to the + terminal of the coil. It is the ONLY wire actually attached to the + terminal.

The MSD is perfectly happy with the voltage coming out of the ballast resistor and having the ballast resistor already hooked up protects the points even more than just the MSD, maybe. The whole truth is that my Unilite distributor and/or a Pertronix if I had one, require a ballast resistor for long life.

Perfect solution, at least for me.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline