Re: [ihc] RE: Relaying George's power

John,
	I really do appreciate the effort you are putting into my problem but
maybe Jim is right. A voltage drop is a voltage drop. Sounds like solving
the problem with different wiring and new relays and whatnot is just a
mask for the real problem. An unexplained voltage drop. I could go on for
quite awhile with this topic, because I am learning new things with each
correspondence but also feel like we may be flogging a dead horse.

	I am going to do some tests on the Scout with my volt meter and see if I
can find a place with over 8.5 volts to trigger the relay.

	The pink wire on my Projection is used to select either small block or
big block mode. I've selected small block and have the pink wire attached
to a good ground source. If I attached it to the Ford solenoid, it would
be in big block mode and would supply too much fuel for my engine. What
does the pink wire on your Projection system do?

George H.
72 Scout II
345 V8

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:59:36 -0700 John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
writes:

> Well, not exactly. First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by "has
> two
> trigger inputs". If you mean that the relay needs to be triggered in
>
> both start and run, then yes it has two trigger inputs, but that
> trigger comes from the + side of the coil, so just one wire. SEE
> PINK
> WIRE BELOW.
>

> THE ECU TURNED IT ON, not the relay or anything else. If it doesn't
> go
> on, then the ECU is not getting enough voltage, or you have a weak
> ground, or the unit is wired wrong, or .......
>
> You need to turn on the key and check the voltage between ground and
>
> the connection to the red lead from the ECU. It needs to be battery
> voltage. Then check the voltage at the same place while cranking, it
>
> MUST be above 8.5 volts, or the ECU will not function, including
> telling the fuel pump to pump. Also check the voltage between the
> pink
> lead and ground, it must be above 8.0 volts during cranking.
>
> As I read the trouble shooting guide, I am reminded about the pink
> wire. It needs to go the Delco side of your Ford solenoid. THAT IS
> WHERE THE SIGNAL TO THE ECU COMES FROM DURING CRANKING.
>
> If that pink wire is hooked to the right spot, then I think the +
> terminal on the coil will work for you to activate the Bosch relay
> and
> power the red lead.
>
> If the fuel pump doesn't come on for the 8 seconds, then you need to
>
> check for voltage between the + side of the pump and ground. There
> should always be voltage here when the key is on,  as control of the
>
> pump is through control of the ground.
>
> If there is voltage here, then remove the green wire from the pump
> and
> ground it, the pump should go on. If the pump doesn't come on, then
> you
> need to check for continuity from the pump to the ECU.
>
> John
> >
> John Hofstetter
> Ol' Saline
> www.goldrush.com/~hofs