Re: [ihc] High Amp Alternator

John,
	I don't know that it is not the relay. Everything else seems to work
during cranking. The truck will start. I just have to hold my foot on the
accelerator pedal at the same position the fast idle solenoid is set at
during cranking. I turn the key to on which primes the pump. stomp the
gas. That sets the fast idle solenoid and gives a squirt of gas. If I
don't hold my foot over the pedal, the fast idle solenoid drops and the
truck won't start. Once started the fast idle solenoid works. The
consensus of the digest and a fleet service mechanic I met at a wedding
was that power was being diverted during cranking and that I needed to
use the coil as a trigger. Tried that and I get absolutely nothing in the
run position or the crank position of the ignition switch. It is quite
possible that I am dropping below 8.5 volts during cranking. The question
is, how do I get full voltage?

George H.
72 Scout II
345 V8

> George,
>
> I may have asked you this before also, but if the problem is during
> starting, then the ballast resistance wire isn't part of the
> problem.
> It is only in use during the run period.
>
> ????
>
> How do you know for sure that the problem during start is the relay?
>
> Are you sure that it isn't closing? Could the problem be with
> elsewhere?
>
> You know that the ECU has to get a minimum of 8.5 volts during
> cranking
> in order to function don't you?
>
> John
>
> John Hofstetter