Re: [ihc] Mean Green and some considerable rambling

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, John Hofstetter wrote:

<snip>

Mr. Hernandez also told me to get rid of the resistance wire to the field as that old technology wasn't relevant to modern electrical systems. In the 1970's it was believed that batteries should be charged at about 13.6 volts. All modern 12 volt systems are set to charge at about 14.4 volts and batteries do fine at that voltage and the rest of the electrical system is made to function at that voltage.

I did that, and among other things, I've gotten exceptional battery life and brighter lights. As you are probably aware, some folks on the BB, people that I respect by the way, insist on adding resistance to any replacement for the original field wire. Most often by adding an idiot light into the circuit. Old habits are hard to break. This one ranks in my mind with putting gear oil in the tranny and TC because the manual said to.

John:

I'm still using the original Delco alternator in my 72 Scout II (61 amp according to the line setting ticket).

Is the Delco alternator considered to be "modern" enough to replace the resistance field wire with one w/no resistance?

Having driven Scout IIs extensively (tho not within the past 4 years) since the mid 80s, ISTR having to purchase batteries every two years or so.

I suspect a higher charging rate (while maintaining the water level) may extend battery life & brighter lights.

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided