Re: [ihc] Mean Green and some considerable rambling

On Jul 20, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Ryan Moore wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 12:27
Subject: Re: [ihc] Mean Green

Now, John,
Aside from going out to the desert to talk to your Mexican friend
directly, how would we, the lowly IH owner, find such an animal as
a Mean Green replacement Diode trio?

hee

JoelB

I thought he said previously that Mean Green started using the "new" diode
trio now so it shouldn't be an issue?

-Ryan
I did say that, and I assume that Joel already knew that. partly because he knows of my 2 year battle with Mean Green to get the diode replacement reimbursed. I suspect that he hasn't begun to tell HIS Mean Green story.

Short recap on my MG story. I bought the MG alternator and starter, and the alternator failed. As per MG's instructions I returned it to them and got it back in a few weeks. It failed again. They told me to return it to them again.

Because I was kind of on the move in the desert and needed the Scout, I took it to a shop in Cathedral called Hernandez 2, where I was fortunate enough to get Mr. Hernandez in person. He looked at the diode trio and told me that if MG had put 10 more of that particular trio in as replacements, I still wouldn't have a working alternator for very long. He put a different trio in and there was no more problem except getting my money from MG.

The problem turned out to be that I was talking to the wrong person, Paul, the nominal boss. It was always no problem, he'd get a check out to me. On about the 6th call back there, I got Mrs.Paul instead. She listened to my story about her husband's promises, told me something like he means those things when he says them, just doesn't get around to doing a lot of them. She told me I'd have a check in my mail box in two days and I did.

Mr. Hernandez also told me to get rid of the resistance wire to the field as that old technology wasn't relevant to modern electrical systems. In the 1970's it was believed that batteries should be charged at about 13.6 volts. All modern 12 volt systems are set to charge at about 14.4 volts and batteries do fine at that voltage and the rest of the electrical system is made to function at that voltage.

I did that, and among other things, I've gotten exceptional battery life and brighter lights. As you are probably aware, some folks on the BB, people that I respect by the way, insist on adding resistance to any replacement for the original field wire. Most often by adding an idiot light into the circuit. Old habits are hard to break. This one ranks in my mind with putting gear oil in the tranny and TC because the manual said to.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs