Re: [ihc] Help (ignition )

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Joel Furtek wrote:

At 10:15 AM -0400 7/19/04, Ted Borck wrote:
<snip>

Removed the offending keyset from the steering column, and took it to a good local locksmith.
When I suggested that the keyset was GM, he said it looks GM, but is actually AMC.
<snip>

Anyway, on topic, I'm getting my B184 ready for the run to All-Trucks at Carlisle (hoping to sell there), and needed a key. I pulled the ignition switch (much easier on a 60 than a 74!) and brought it in to my local locksmith. $8 and 5 minutes later I had a new key for the original lock. He used a small magnifier/illuminator to search out the key code hidden inside the switch, and cut a terrific new key. Cheaper than a new switch, easier than wiring into a 'generic' switch, and ,much cleaner than an ignition/start button setup.

A good friend who was a locksmith and (legitimate) safecracker taught me to go to a locksmith first, whenever I had any key lock problems.

Example: While at a party, another friend locked his car keys in the trunk of his Lincoln (double side key). Went and found the locksmith friend (also at the party in his van), he pulled out a small pair of vise grips and a small file. Took him approx 5 minutes to wiggle the key blank in the trunk lock, read the marks, file the blank, and repeated as necessary until the key opened the trunk.

He also taught me how to change & re-key locks. A houseguest lose a key? No problem - re-key the lock.

Anything other than that, I go to a locksmith.

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided