Re: [ihc] Help (ignition )

At 10:15 AM -0400 7/19/04, Ted Borck wrote:
Roger:
I had a similar problem several years ago with the ign keyset on my 74 Scout II.
Removed the offending keyset from the steering column, and took it to a good local locksmith.
When I suggested that the keyset was GM, he said it looks GM, but is actually AMC.
I dunno if he was correct, but he did fix my ign keyset problem and I didn't subsequently have to change the door & tailgate keysets.
--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided

All,

Greetings from Nelson County, Virginia, recently flooded with Jeep owners -- I live about 10 miles from the Oak Ridge estate, where the D-C holds their Camp Jeep. Nice to see _so_ many vehicles driving around, most with modest mods to make them a little more off-roadable, but in any event, clearly cared for by their owners. Regardless of the make. Reminds me of the best part of Nationals, just driving around and seeing Scouts at every stop light. :-)

Anyway, on topic, I'm getting my B184 ready for the run to All-Trucks at Carlisle (hoping to sell there), and needed a key. I pulled the ignition switch (much easier on a 60 than a 74!) and brought it in to my local locksmith. $8 and 5 minutes later I had a new key for the original lock. He used a small magnifier/illuminator to search out the key code hidden inside the switch, and cut a terrific new key. Cheaper than a new switch, easier than wiring into a 'generic' switch, and ,much cleaner than an ignition/start button setup.

Hope it helps someone.

My best to all,
Joel

--
Joel Furtek <http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll>; jf7e@domain.elided
Boatman, Virginia Women's Rowing 434/981-6811 (cell); 434/975-CREW (boathouse)