Re: [ihc] High Amp Alternator

At 1:49 PM 7/14/04, Tom Mandera wrote:
>George B Humphrey wrote:
>
>>       What are the advantages and disadvantages of switching to a higher amp
>> alternator? What, if anything, would I have to do to the Scout if a
>> changed to a higher amp alternator? What are the advantages of a one wire
>> alternator? I've got lots of electrical goodies running at certain times
>> and am thinking about changing.

The very best way to do this IF you have the room is with one of the big
Leece Neville alternators. They make a LOT of juice at and right off of
idle. A 135 amp rated L-N will make its rated 135 amps--or MORE--under
vile, hot underhood conditions, and continue to do so for a LONG time.

This is quite a contrast to the high current 'rated' Delcos--with which,
once they get good and hot, the output DROPS to about 60 or 70% of their
'rating' !!!

There are lots of the L-N units out there, mounted on IH SV engines--in
dead school buses---so, don't be claiming bracketry problems as an excuse.
The L-N's are completely rebuildable--if you have one with a good stator
and field, you can renew EVERYTHING else for about $130 --diodes, triode,
brushes, bearings, brushes, regulator (which is ADJUSTABLE !!!!), etc.

Why make GM-Delco richer when you can get an industrial grade  (and rated)
unit ?? (BTW-- a #4 charging wire is about as LIGHT as I would want to go
with a 135a L-N !!)

I have NOT _ yet_  tried to mount an L-N on an SV that uses the combo
alternator/freon compressor bracket--

Greg