Re: [ihc] IH events

At 11:38 PM 7/7/04, Rocky Lear wrote:
>Regarding the upcoming IH event in Salida, CO.....is that always held in
>that town? I looked it up on the map. I came through there in an old car I
>bought in Delta in Aug.2001. That stretch through that area heading back
>east alongside the Arkansas River to Canon City, is just about some of the
>best scenery I have ever seen in any of my adventures. If it is held there
>every year, I will surely try to make it in '05. I know Canon City is on
>the eastern slope. Is Salida up in the mountains or on the western slope?
>If anyone has been thinking about going, I can assure you it is fantastic
>country.
>
>Rocky

Salida is on the Arkansas River--therefore east of the divide--but it's
pretty much IN the mountains. It;s located at the southern end of the
Arkansas Valley--go north toward Buena Vista and you have the Sawatch Range
(Collegiate Peaks) on the west and the Mosquito Range on the east. go west
and you'll go over Monarch Pass to Gunnison (western slope), go south and
you'll go over Poncha Pass to the San Luis Valley (still east of the
divide. Go east and you'll more or less follow the river down to Canon
City.

Yep, the RMIHR is now there every year.

Greg (gonna make it this time, don't need to go the meeting that's
conflicted the past few years)