Re: [ihc] Oregon Backcountry Discovery Trail: We're Baaack!

John,
        I am still learning about the trucks (former Scout II veteran,
but pickup and T'All rookie) so I am not exactly familiar with the design
of those trucks in stock form.  I realized I may have been a little off
on the SOA description, after spending some time under a later model
T'All this weekend pulling a transfer case.  The spring hangers were
flipped over in the rear.  I had thought that the rear axle was
underslung in stock form, but the trucks I have looked at recently have
the springs on top already, so I think I may be wrong with the SOA idea.
I am not exactly sure how he did the front, but will take some pictures
eventually, since I plan on doing the same on my '69.  I like the amount
of lift it gives.  John kept the closed knuckle setup.  He felt the
larger turning radius was offset by the increased strength of the closed
knuckle design.  I myself found a D-44HD with disk brakes for $200
complete last year, and plan on putting that in my truck.  I feel it is
heavy enough, and would like the smaller turning radius.  If you would
like to talk with John about what exactly he did, let me know, and I will
put you in touch with him.  I know I will be referring to his rig as I
progress on mine.
-Colin

 John,
>         That T'All is a '67 with the BG 241 and 4-speed, and belongs to
> John Donnelly in Woodburn, Oregon.  It was an Oregon DOT truck once
upon
> a time, and came with the factory engine skid plate.  The front bumper
> was a Warn bumper I found at a swap meet last year for $35, and the
rims
> are Scout II rallyes.  The rear axle had an SOA and the spring hangers
> were flipped too, while the front axle had an SOA and a spacer block.
It

I thought "SOA" stood for "spring over axle" as in a conversion from
"under
axle" on a Scout? What does it entail on the T'All? Do you mean "spring
OFF
axle" as in thorough restoration, or??

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!