RE: [ihc] Oregon Backcountry Discovery Trail: We're Baaack!

I thought "SOA" stood for "spring over axle" as in a conversion from "under
axle" on a Scout? What does it entail on the T'All? Do you mean "spring OFF
axle" as in thorough restoration, or??

> still has the heavy duty drums, and Super Swampers.  It is probably
> getting a propane conversion, although an EFI is still a possibility.
> The cowl was cut out, and the rusty lipped vent was cut out, and a pair
> of Scout II vents were installed, and the cowl covered back over.  Even
> in the heaviest rain, it never leaked.  It has new aftermarket gauges, so
> the speedo is dead nuts on, and the gas gauge works perfectly.  No leaks
> anywhere.  The rusty areas were cut out on the fenders and rewelded and
> touched up with some filler.  Someone had painted over the original ODOT
> orange with a Pepto-Bismol pink with a hand brush, so John squirted it
> with the Rustoleum camo green a desert tan.  The rack was something off
> of a Scout II that was modified to fit the truck.  I really dig the look
> of that truck.  It was necessary to shift down for the major hills, with

Me too (dig the look of)... It's funny how well that body style adapts to
the "rugged" look. From the factory, they all looked kind of like boat /
station wagons, but with the right amount of tire and lift and dirt, they
look like *TRUCKS*. The roof rack and the front bumper help, too. JMHO... At
first, I thought that was a 1200 series, but I see from the additional pics
it's a half ton like mine. Mine is also a '67, but with the earlier grill.
Well, the grill is the same; it's the headlight trim that's different.
Another example of "you can't always tell by looking", I guess. IH was funny
that way.

> 35 MPH being the rule on the steep ones.  Lots of shifting with that, so
> George Thoroughgood's "GearJammer" has been made its theme song.The
> spread is a little much for that little motor, so a 5-speed Fuller is in
> the works for it.  Those that come to the RoundUp can see it in person.
> John said it never balked at anything he tried on the trip, no matter how
> steep, deep, or slow it was.  Oh, and the name of it is TerrorAll.
>         Jim Price posted another group of pictures of the trip on a site
> here if anyone wants to look at them.
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/153430825KTSFzF
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/153450444zzBzzO
>
> -Colin

Thanks a lot for the info and pictures, Colin. ~John A.
---