RE: [ihc] Oregon Backcountry Discovery Trail: We're Baaack!

I get it, Thanks.

  The spring hangers were
> flipped over in the rear.

There was a thread here about that a while back. You reverse them left to
right, and turn them upside down.

  I had thought that the rear axle was
> underslung in stock form, but the trucks I have looked at recently have
> the springs on top already, so I think I may be wrong with the SOA idea.
> I am not exactly sure how he did the front, but will take some pictures
> eventually, since I plan on doing the same on my '69.  I like the amount
> of lift it gives.

On the front, he might have done the conversion where you drill out the
rivets on the aft hangers, move them back and down to the mounting holes
drilled for the two-wheel drive models, and used spring packs from a
two-wheel p/u or T'all that are slightly longer than those from a 4x4. I
wondered about the spacer blocks that you mentioned - my understanding is
that that is not safe in front. Maybe he just did the spring conversion in
front, and the spring hanger swap and blocks in back? Is John on this list?
I'd really like to hear from him, and/or see pictures. This particular job
is on my "to do" list.

  John kept the closed knuckle setup.  He felt the
> larger turning radius was offset by the increased strength of the closed
> knuckle design.

I'm still undecided on that one, although I'm leaning toward keeping the
closed knuckles. One, because of strength, and two, because I already have
them. Tighter turns would be nice, though...

  I myself found a D-44HD with disk brakes for $200
> complete last year, and plan on putting that in my truck.  I feel it is
> heavy enough, and would like the smaller turning radius.  If you would
> like to talk with John about what exactly he did, let me know, and I will
> put you in touch with him. I know I will be referring to his rig as I
> progress on mine.
> -Colin

That would be great. Or if he's not here already, have him sign up! Keep us
posted on your project, also. Is it a pickup, or Travelall? Thanks, ~John A.

---