[ihc] Sputter & Backfire

Hi all:
Long time occaisional poster checking in with a question. 1973 345 Scout II (with MSD FWIW) has been under a cover for close to a year. Charged the battery and fired her up and all was good. After 10 miles of highway mixed with some about town driving, had a choking sputter and a loud backfire. Then back to normal. I'm thinking an ignition failure allowed unburned gas into the exhaust, then when it recovered, kabboomm. Makes sense? I think I'll start with a new cap, rotor & points, then see how that does. Anything else obvious to check?

Thanks so much for your wisdom,
Ross