RE: [ihc] 800 door parts needed

## >> I've never met an 80 or 800 that the pins would come out on.  I know
## >> they are supposed to. I've also never seen one with wingnuts.  Not
## >> saying what you have isn't factory, just that I've never seen it.
## >> Everything I've looked at close enough to know anything about had pins
## >> that were slit longways, but not the whole length, and the slit had a
## >> twist to it.    Kind of like the old style clothespins, the
## >> one without
## >> springs, but the slit doesn't go all the way to the tip and
## >> has a twist
## >> to it and you can't see daylight through it. I give up, I don't even
## >> have the words to explain it. In any case, I've only ever
## >> gotten one pin
## >> to come out and that was on a hinge that was broken so I had some room
## >> to work and I wanted it out so I could see it in person.  I had seen
## >> pictures with this twisted slit in them. It took lots of heat and
## >> penetrating oil and time and the pin was trashed by the time
## >> I got done.
## >> You could only twist one way, because if you twisted the
## >> other way, the
## >> edges of the slit would dig in or the slit would open up and the pin
## >> wouldn't turn. My memory is a little fuzzy about the details,
## >> maybe the
## >> slit is just a groove that doesn't go all the way through. I wish I
## >> could get my pins out.  I could probably get them out but would ruin
## >> them in the process and don't know what the heck I would replace them
## >> with. It would need to be hard and I don't believe it is a
## >> standard bolt
## >> size.
## >>
## >>  Taking the hinges of works fine for me.

we don't have the 800 anymore, so i can't go out there and verify what my
memory is of that one.  from what i recall, though, that one had what looked
basically like long thin carriage bolts through the hinges.  they were
rounded on top and threaded on the end, with wingnuts on them.  that's what
i remember.  i never took one out to find out if it was threaded the whole
length, so i don't know if they were.  two things i remember for sure:  they
had wingnuts on the ends, and the heads were rounded like carriage bolts.

now the 800A is a different matter.  the pins in those hinges are...  BOLTS.
i can take all four out, and they're nothing more than what appear to be
standard Grade 8 bolts.  about three inches long, with 7/16" hex heads.  i
don't know what the actual bolt size is.  they're pretty snug in the pin
channel, though.  i have to work at them a little bit to get them out, but
they definitely come out without too much trouble.  certainly not the kind
of trouble you're describing for the normal hinge pins.

one of these days i'll get around to replacing the windscreen-frame-mounted
mirrors so i can take my doors off.  the Military Police would have a field
day with me if i took the doors off and drove it around like that right now.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.