[ihc] Cooling fans...

Ok, I really want to get around to changing the fan on my scout... I figure
if I get the part I'll actually find time to change it some time in the
parking lot.

As it is right now, I went by the parts store and all they'd tell me was how
they didn't have one for it.  I know I can find one, just need some info on
what I need to tell *them*.

Looks like I'm fortunate enough to have the 4 bolt water pump, so I can
actually get a new fan without having to replace the pump itself.... the
problem with the fan is that the clutch is fairly loose on it.  Bearings are
fine, but the clutch isn't as tight as it should be (even when hot you can
spin it a revolution or two around at a time).

What do I need to tell them?

After listening to the pros or cons of clutch vs straight vs flex, it seems
to me that a good choice whould be whatever is least expensive/ easiest to
get.  A fairly good approximation?

I've heard a horror story or two about flex fans coming apart under the hood
and sending shrapnel through the hood... anything to worry about there?

I don't really think there is much reason to replace the water pump itself
at this juncture, unless someone has a good reason to.  It's been replaced
at least once before since it's been in my family (and won't have been
before then).  When my dad replaced the old pump he cut the shroud and
fastened it back together with screws so that it won't require as much work
to replace either the fan and/or pump.

Open to suggestions...

Thanks,
Ryan