Re: [ihc] 1979 196 Distributor

----- Original Message -----
From: <JefGruwell@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 12:11
Subject: [ihc] 1979 196 Distributor

> I bought a NOS 1979 196E for my 1967 RHD Postal Scout from Anything Scout
> Classifieds. I'm feeling extremely fortunate to have stumbled into this
> particular engine. The guy I bought it from has treated me very well.
>
> The Dist on the NOS 196 has what appears to be a Mechanical Tach Drive on
it.

> I've never seen a dist like this before, and I'm very curious to find out
> more about it.
>
> I'm not sure I want to use this dist, especially since I don't have the
> Module. Is there a nice upgrade dist available for IHC 4 Cyl?
>
> Jeff Gruwell

There is/was a postal scout going cheap on ebay btw....

Anyway...  if it's a '79 scout dizzy, it'll be a prestolite... I'm happy
with mine, seem to be good distributors and I've heard of more pretronix
modules failing in the past few months than prestolite modules... of course,
that's not really fair though.  Tom M was one of those cases and he has
managed to not break a lot more than the single one that burned out!

Problem with the prestolite is that the modules aren't cheap.  However, they
make a pertronix module that drops right in.  I'd say that there's no reason
to upgrade that one.

-Ryan

---