Re: [ihc] Engine stand recommendations

Joel M Brodsky wrote:
JMB> Binders,
JMB>       Way back before I even started my engine swap I bought an engine
JMB> stand...yeah, yeah the Harbor Freight kind.
JMB> The kind with the arms too small to fit the bell pattern of an IH SV.  So,
JMB> it went to the side of the shop and I made these nifty wooden cradles out
JMB> of 2x6 and have been using them, trouble free, for years now.  The question
JMB> is, what do you all do to modify your engine stand so that you can actually
JMB> work on the engines instead of just swapping things back and forth while
JMB> the bottom end is in a wooden cradle?
JMB>       I can do any job to a level higher than the crank (heads, manifolds,
JMB> water pumps, etc) just can't do oil pumps, pans, and things below.

JMB> Thanks for any info,

JMB> JoelB

The engine stand I have is capable, out of the box, of getting four
arms mounted up to the back side of an SV.
Unconventional placement of the arms, but it did bolt up.
I have Harbor Freight's 2 ton capacity model.  I would'nt
dream of putting 2000 lbs on it but 1000 lb should be OK.  SV is ~750
lb?  It handled the 345, but with the heads on I could not rotate the
engine alone.  A stand with a crank handle to rotate the engine
would be VERY nice.

I've used the cheap three-legger and they make me nervous.  Don't waste
your money on one of those.  The model I have should be considered the
minimum for holding an SV.

Ken