Re: [ihc] RE: Herm buddy

Jim Grammer wrote:

The o/d unit is basically the same for them all, fitment details prolly vary
some depending on which tranny they're mated to. I expect a 'spud shaft'
adapter was used to adapt to the D20, just not sure if there are pertinent
differences between the Ferd and Scout D20 requiring different parts for the
o/d install. Pretty good rundown here:

The cable locks out the shift function of the o/d unit, which with OEM
wiring was automatic(governer controlled solenoid). Hence the term
'electric' overdrive.
Mom has a '68 Chevy 1/2T 2wd, with a 250-6cyl, 3 on the tree, coil sprung rear suspension, and the electic OD.

There's a cable and a floor switch. The floor switch engages OD, the cable operates the overrunning clutch or something.

I know when in OD, you can't get the 3spd into Reverse.. and that the OD switch is annoyingly close to the high/low headlight switch, and if you're not careful, you'll hit it instead of the headlight switch, then find you can't make a 3pt turn in the middle of a road..

I also know that when the cable has been pulled, you have NO compression braking. Mom didn't find this comforting when she came down MacDonald Pass the one and only time she took the truck to Missoula n' back.. I guess hurtling down the hill free-wheeling with 4-wheel manual drums wasn't a fun time for mom..

We now keep that part of the OD in "lock up" mode.

Really, the OD is generally wasted on the truck, since she never seems to drive it further than the dump. ;)

-Tom