[ihc] shards

Looks like bearing material.  The Babbit bearing material is a layer of
lead on steel and then placed in an assembly.  Those look like bottom end
bearings to me.  I suggest close inspection of all the journals on your
crank, big ends of the rods and the mains.  With pieces that large not in
their place it should be easy to spot.  Shake and jiggle the bottom end
parts and your culprit should be evident.  The good news is that you can
probably just replace the bad one(s) and keep on driving since the rest of
the assembly is tough enough.  Knocking eventually lets steel ride on steel
if it goes though the lead and then you might have to polish the journals.
Crocus cloth or emory should do the trick to clean it up if you're not up
for tearing down the whole engine.  It's a band-aid at best, but if that's
all you're looking for, it might be an option.  Think about oversize
bearings if required.

-JoelB