Re: [ihc] Electrical wiring again... wiring identification and some more...

My 79 SII has one of these, I am pretty sure it is a circuit breaker for the 12V power feed going to the trailer harness.

Nick

Ryan Moore wrote:

I'm looking through my service manual at the various wiring diagrams for my
scout, trying to figure out various places to check to try to locate my
short (well, I still think it's a short at least).  Anyway, I have something
I can't seem to find in the wiring diagrams or schematics etc. On the
firewall towards the passenger side, it almost looks like it is just a
connector riveted to the firewall.  There are two green wires going into it,
look about 10 gauge to me.  The wires go into the main harness, one looks
like it may go down to the starter and one just goes into the engine
harness.

I'm guessing it serves to connect the two green wires together without
requiring them to be one single wire or have a floating connector?   It's
just to the passenger side and slightly above the engine bulkhead connector
(which is near the center of the firewall).

I'm thinking that they might be for the alternator, but I couldn't find any
numbers on the wires and since I haven't yet located it on a diagram I'm not
certain as to what they are...

Anyway, I cleaned the prongs for it and the connectors.  The prongs are
riveted to the connector and one of them is a little loose (you can rotate
it, it's an L shaped prong with the rivet in the bottom of the L).  If this
is indeed for the alternator, I wonder if this could be loosing continuity.
But along those lines, is there any reason that losing the extra few volts
above battery level would cause the engine to stumble/surge/etc while
driving?  (remember, it's a prestolite dizzy).

Or is this wire something else?  Such as for the starting circuit?  I'm
trying to avoid really tampering much with anything before getting some
positive identification.

Any more ideas on what could be causing my problem would be appreciated.
(sysmtems, ammeter gets a little jumpy and the engine surges with the
ammeter.  Initially when the ammeter starts it doesn't do anything, but when
it reaches a point the engine seems to chime in (will see the ammeter move a
little bit some without any change, and then it's a little bigger and the
engine starts surging).  The deflections are less than half scale down and
can get up to half scale or so up on the bigger ones...  fairly fast
bouncing...

Thanks,
Ryan

---