[ihc] Re: 266 w/ knock

>>  did you ever use a stethoscope to try to
>>  pinpoint the knock? It seems like you were
>>  looking all over for it, so I'm wondering
>>  just how definite you were on the source to
>>  begin with.

John,

     Thanks for the response!  The sound is a "tick, tick, tick" that
changes proportionately with RPMs, and does not change sounds due to load or
acceleration.  It is definitely, and without any doubts, coming from the
left side when listening just by ear.  It is quite unmistakable.  The guys
at the local IH shop listened with a stethoscope and also concluded that it
was coming from that side and near the top.  (I didn't listen myself,
though.)  They were pretty sure that it would turn out to be a mischievous
lifter.  Again though, I changed all of them on that side, replaced all the
push rods, and then changed the rocker arm and rockers.  While I was at it,
I pulled the head and had it cleaned, inspected, and new valve seals put in.
I think I can be pretty confident in saying it isn't in the top end of that
bank. (Darn!)

     As far as looking all over for it, that is just my way of saving the
really difficult possible fixes until I've eliminated all the cheaper ones
first!  Now the rest seem to call for removal of the engine.  As both an
apartment dweller and poor college student, that is a nasty predicament!  I
was just trying all the things I could accomplish in the parking lot!

     The last time I took a car to a shop, it cost $150 just for the
diagnosis!  If digesters can help me avoid that again -- or at least make me
confident that it needs professional help -- that would be great!

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~thor7358/IH/

Thanks Again,
     Kyle T.