[ihc] Diesel hot heads

>Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:23:49 -0700
>From: John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [ihc] Diesel Injector Question

>Those of you who have done Death Valley (Jail Canyon) with me, or
>explored the old engines at Tulare already know that I am fascinated by
>the old "Hot Head Diesels".

>Drawing on those experiences, it seems obvious to me that Michael and
>others having troubles getting their engines started simply need to
>barbecue some steaks on their engine head, and then shortly after
>dinner start their engine.

>John Hofstetter

Charcoal briquets would prolly stay in place the best ;) While wandering
around the show in Tulare looking at over-restored IH tractors(funny if
you've seen my Cub in person), I spent a few minutes watching a husband/wife
team trying to start one of these beasts. The wife was driving an
oxy/acetylene torch with a huge rosebud tip to heat the head. I watched the
dance for about 5 minutes, the cycle was heat....time....prime....crank.
While I was there, the engine gave no sign that it was even *thinking* about
sustained combustion :( I'm a glutton for punishment of a mechanical bent,
but really...

Jim