Re: [ihc] Need instructions for Postal to Standard Scout II Conversion

ihc-digest wrote:
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 20:27:32 -0700
From: "Christine N. Gust" <dukkha@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] RE: Need instructions for Postal to Standard Scout II Conversion

Several of these have been done. I have searched and queried our sister web
tech forum and gotten no where.

Does anyone have the Instructions for converting a Postal Scout (Right Hand
Drive) to a Standard Left Hand Drive?

Robert
70 1200D
73 Missing in Action
79 SSII

Robert,

Obviously, it's your truck and you can do what you like with it. (Or you're researching it for someone) but that is a bad idea. When somebody has a running mail jeep they usually try to bleed the buyer for $1500-$2000. Note - this is not a GOOD mail jeep, just a running one. Imagine a body rusted so bad that you can (literally) put your fist through a hole. Terribly worn out steering gears, iffy brakes (e.g. when you hit the brakes the truck pulls violently to one side, so you crank the wheel the other way to compensate; then braking force equalizes so you've got to quickly recenter the wheel or pull yourself well out of your lawful position on the road.)

Maybe it's just because I'm a mail carrier, but even contemplating something like this seems just....wrong to me. Almost sacreligious. I'll tell you this, if this is one of the rigs you're planning on fixing up and "raffling" off as part of your club meeting, I'd buy at least one chance at it. And if you put in a 196 or 258 there are several carriers in my office alone who would probably do the same. Good RHD trucks are not easy to come by.

I wouldn't trade my Scout for any other vehicle (which is why I bought Fleck's galvanized 800) and it's recieved only positive attention from coworkers. Quite a few have asked out them, only to be scared away by perceived parts scarcity. A 258-equipped Scout (with front discs) is almost definitely easier to get parts for than an "Audi" mail jeep. Heck, it might be easier to get Scout parts than for a 258-equipped mail jeep. It's a weak argument, to me, but one that seems to work for these people, and I can't tell them how to spend their money, now can I?

I'd leave it as RHD. But that's just me. I wanted to share my viewpoint, but obviously you'll have to make up your own mind on it.

Dave