Re: [ihc] Fire extinguisher story

On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:38:24 -0700 John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided> wrote:
> On May 11, 2004, at 5:59 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> > there are various alternatives that are getting used in racing, like
> > AFFF
> > and AFFF like stuff (brand names: SPA Lite, ZERO 2000, Coldfire 302,
> > to name three).  FM100 is out there, but the SCCA banned it because
> > of toxic side effects.

> Thanks Richard,

no problem. we SCCA tech inspectors tend to keep track of this stuff,
we need to know what is supposed to be in the cars (and what is _not_
supposed to be in the cars, like FM100.)

note that AFFF and AFFF-like substances are surfectants, rather than
displacement agents (Halon is a displacement agent.)

Halon works by pushing oxygen out of the area rapidly, starving
the fire. the surfectants are generally foaming agents that must be
applied directly to whatever is burning. this distinction is critical
in race cars with onboard systems, as halon nozzles are different
in style from AFFF-type nozzles, and halon nozzle placement is
somewhat less critical than AFFF nozzle placement. in handheld
extinguisher use, it is important with these new things to make sure
you get it on the stuff that's burning. with Halon, dumping in the
general vicinity of the fire usually works.

richard